This cauliflower mac and cheese, stovetop recipe is like no others. First, cauliflower Mac and cheese is simply fantastic. And second, it’s easy to make.
My fiancé loves to cook it as often as he can due to his passion for cheddar. As a result, I get to have a break from cooking lunch once in a while. It’s a win-win.
May I also say that cauliflower and cheddar are a yummy pair?! I mean, these are perfect together. Plus, if you’re looking for a low-carb mac and cheese recipe, using cauliflower instead of classic macaroni is a brilliant idea. And, the best part is that the recipe comes with a lot of goodies.
The first time when we’ve tried cauliflower mac ‘n’ cheese was when we followed the Atkins diet.
What does the Atkins diet mean?
It is similar to the Keto diet and implies eating high-protein, high-fat meals and very few carbs daily. So, basically, you’re allowed to eat a lot of meat, eggs, cheese, but very few vegetables, fruits, pasta, bread, and other high-carb products.
I didn’t quite like the Atkins way of eating. The thought of less or almost no fruits and vegetables scared me…a lot! However, we remained with a lot of recipe ideas from this experience. And one of them is this quick and easy cauliflower mac ‘n’ cheese recipe. I wasn’t a fan of cauliflower before Atkins. Now, however, it’s my new bestie.
Here’s how to make cauliflower mac and cheese on stovetop
So, I divided this recipe into four parts. Sounds a bit too much? Let me tell you that I actually did that to simplify the recipe (playfully winking).
1. The first part is prepping the cauliflower, which is easy if you know how to cut it.
Therefore, after washing it, divide the cauliflower into four quadrants, exactly like in the image below.
Then, carefully cut the florets from the big stem with the help of a knife. And, shred the big florets into smaller cauliflower florets. The picture below illustrates how I do it.
See?! It’s easy! After you shredded your cauliflower, fill a medium-sized saucepan with water and bring it to boil. Then, add the cauliflower florets to the boiling water. Reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes. No more than 7 minutes. Otherwise, they will start to shred apart. And finally, drain and set aside.
2. Next, roast the bacon. Dice it into small pieces and roast it in a frying pan greased with oil.
3. Now, let’s get to the most important part, preparing the cheddar sauce. You will need cheddar, white flour, butter, and milk. Use any cheese combo you prefer or have in the fridge, of course. For example, I find cheddar the perfect choice for this recipe. Read the recipe card to find out the exact quantities and cooking time.
4. Assembling your cauliflower mac and cheese is our last step before getting to the more enjoyable part – eating. Now, when the cheddar sauce is thick enough and ready, add the cauliflower florets. Season with nutmeg and black pepper and mix until the cheese blends with the florets.
Divide between bowls and sprinkle with roasted bacon and finely chopped chives. Most importantly, enjoy this cauliflower mac and cheese on stovetop and have a nice day.
Recipes with cauliflower:
- Bow-Tie Pasta with Tuna, Roasted Cauliflower and Corn
- Crunchy Cauliflower Salad with Chicken Breast
- Cauliflower – 1 medium (~500g, boiled)
- Bacon – 4 rashers (diced, roasted)
- Cheddar cheese – 100 g (grated)
- Milk – 100 ml
- White Flour – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg- 1/2 tsp
- Chives – fresh or dried
1. Prep the cauliflower
- Wash one medium cauliflower and cut into four quadrants. Use a knife to detach the bigger cauliflower florets from the stem. Next, using your clean hands, shred the big florets into smaller ones.
- Fill a big saucepan with water and bring to boil. Reduce the heat, add the cauliflower florets and cook for 5-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Roast your bacon
- Dice four rashers of bacon into small pieces. Roast in a frying pan greased with oil until thoroughly cooked and set aside. I always remove the fat before dicing it. You can do this as well if you don’t like it.
3. Make the cheddar sauce
- First, prepare the ingredients: grate 100 grams of cheddar; prepare one tablespoon of flour, one tablespoon of butter, and 100 g of milk.
- Set a frying pan over medium heat. Add butter, and fall one tablespoon of flour over it (*this is a tip on how to avoid flour lumps.) Whisk with a wooden spoon until the butter melts and flour becomes golden. It should take no more than one minute.
- Next, add the grated cheddar and milk. Whisk frequently for approximately 3 minutes, or until the sauce is thick enough.
4. Assemble the Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- Toss the cooked cauliflower into the cheddar sauce. Season with black pepper and nutmeg. Mix until all the florets are coated with cheese.
- Divide between two bowls. Serve with roasted bacon and finely chopped fresh chives. Condiment with more nutmeg (optional). Most importantly, ENJOY your meal!
Did You Make This Recipe?Show your masterpiece to the world, tag
- Cheddar and bacon because they are salted enough. However, you may add a bit, if you prefer.
- If you would like more sauce, add more cheese and milk and slightly increase the amount of flour and butter. The amount of milk should be equally proportional to the amount of cheese.
@therecipery on Instagram and hashtag it #therecipery 🙂
Do you have questions about the recipe or need help with any of the steps? We’re here for you!
Leave a comment below or contact us on social media. We will get back to you as soon as we can!