Most of the time I combine these with sweet potatoes and tahini sauce. Thus, transforming it into a rich meal full of protein, good carbs and fibre.
Tips for roasted chicken thighs with carrots
- Be sure to choose chicken thighs with skins and bone.
- When cooking chicken thighs, turn the oven fan in the last 5 minutes. As a result, the skin will be crispier.
- Combining roasted chicken thighs and carrots with sweet potatoes, salad, tahini or Transylvanian garlic sauce creates a complete delicious meal.
- Herbs and spices are essential to prepare a flavourful meal, use this combination: cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt, black pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Cook carrots and the sweet potatoes at the same time. And be sure to cut potatoes into the same size wedges as carrots.
- Store the chicken thighs up to three days in the fridge.
Read the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and method.
- 8 chicken thighs with skin
- Paprika 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin – 1 tbsp (ground)
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp (freshly ground)
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Lemon Juice from half a lemon ~ 30ml
- Water ~ 50 ml
- Carrots – 2 big ones (~ 300 g)
- Optional: sweet potatoes, tahini sauce (1 tbsp of roasted sesame, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 garlic clove, 1 tbsp olive oil, 4 tbsp yoghurt)
1. Chicken Thighs
- Preheat the oven at 180 °C / 350 °F. Cut a length of parchment paper long enough to line the bottom of the oven tray you use. Cover and set aside.
- Rinse the chicken thigs under cold running water and put them in a large bowl.
- Mix all the spices (cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper) with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and lemon juice in a smaller bowl. Pour the mixture over chicken thighs and gently mix with your clean hands. Allow them to marinate for around 10 minutes.
- After the chicken thighs have marinated, lay them in the oven tray covered with baking paper and add 50 ml of water. Carefully place the tray in the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 55 – 60 minutes at 180 °C / 350 °F.
2. Roasted Carrots
- Until the chicken thighs are ready, cover a flat oven tray with non-stick baking paper and prepare the carrots.
- Wash and cut off the bottom and the top. Peel off its skin with a vegetable peeler or carefully use a kitchen knife to remove the skin. Peel the base part first, then switch to the top.
- Carefully cut the cleaned carrots into small wedges using a cutting board and a knife. Scatter the wedges in the roasting tray. Season with half a teaspoon of salt and half teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle the 1 tablespoon of olive oil over them. Gently mix the wedged carrots letting the olive oil and seasoning to blend in.
- Switch the oven at 200°C, allow it a few minutes to heat. Then place the tray in the middle rack and bake for 20 minutes more.
Optional: clean and cut wedges of sweet potatoes and add them to the carrots.
3. Tahini Sauce
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, toast 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds for 2 minutes or until golden. No added oil.
- Ground the toasted sesame seeds with an immersion blender, coffee grinder machine, or a pestle and mortar.
- In a small bowl mix the ground sesame seeds with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, one crushed garlic clove, a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until smooth. Then combine with 4-5 tablespoons of yoghurt or sour cream. ENJOY!
Nutrition per Serving
* One serving consists two chicken thighs, 75 g of carrots, 75 g of sweet potatoes and 2 tablespoons of tahini sauce.
*Important: All the nutrition values are based on McCance and Widdowson’s ‘composition of foods on the nutrient content of the UK food supply, thus may differ from your products. The nutrition label is purely informative, we are not certified nutritionists.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Do you have any questions about it or need help with any of the steps? We’re here for you!
Just leave a comment below or contact us on social media and we will get back to you as soon as we can!
Show your masterpiece to the world, tag @therecipery on Instagram and hashtag it #therecipery.