This creamy mushroom soup recipe is the best. Sublime even. It has a silky texture with a hint of meat and earthy flavour.
For you mushrooms lovers, I promise this soup will be a divine meal that will warm you to the core. Then it will reach your heart and make you love it even more.
We adore cream soups and cook them as often as we can. They are quick, nourishing and warm our hearts, especially on a rainy day. God knows that we have plenty of them!
The mushroom one is my fiancé’s favourite. He mentioned this since the beginning of our relationship. For this reason, I’ve cooked it in a dozen ways to find the perfect combination and to make the best of its taste.
How to make mushroom soup?
To make this delicious soup, you will need mushrooms, garlic, milk, parmesan, and seasoning.
What types of mushrooms should you use? Well, usually my first option is champignons (the white ones) or chestnut mushrooms.
Chestnut mushrooms bring to the soup a more smokey and earthy flavour. Hence, I recommend using a mix of both to balance that distinctive scent.
Milk adds a slightly sweet taste. In fact, I believe this is the secret ingredient that makes this soup so unique. It blends perfectly with the mushrooms.
Before I used to use Greek yoghurt or sour cream, however, milk remains the one and only for us.
As for the garlic, it has to be an essential rule that it should always be paired with mushrooms.
And finally, serve with prosciutto and parmesan crackers for extra deliciousness. As my fiancé always says:” Parmesan makes everything better.”
Is this mushroom soup recipe healthy?
Of course! It the right amount of antioxidants and is rich in protein and fibre. Therefore, you can’t be wrong when choosing these for a meal, especially if you want a low calorie or low carb recipe.
In essence, mushrooms are beautiful little umbrellas packed with minerals and vitamins.
Creamy soups are easy and delicious meals you could eat at lunch or dinner. They are good for digestion and quick to make. See for yourself:
- Mushrooms – 750 g
- Garlic – 4 cloves (roughly chopped)
- Onion – 1 small (roughly chopped)
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper – 1/4 tsp (plus to serve)
- Water – 800 ml
- Milk – 200 ml
- 40 g Parmesan (plus to serve)
- Optional: 8 slices Prosciutto
- Clean 750 g of mushrooms and cut them into medium slices. Peel the garlic cloves and onion and chop roughly.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the sliced mushrooms, chopped onion, garlic, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and sweet paprika. Cook for approximately 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 800 ml of water and bring to boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 8 minutes. Then add milk, and allow it to warm for a few minutes more.
- Turn off the heat, add grated parmesan, and cream with the help of an immersion blender, until the soup is smooth and silky.
- Sprinkle with more parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve immediately with prosciutto or bacon, toasted bread, croutons, or parmesan crackers.
- The best way to clean mushrooms is to peel off the topcoat from the mushroom umbrella with a knife or your nails first. You don’t need to wash them afterward. Because they will soak up liquid like a sponge and you will have excess water.
- Add more water or milk if you prefer your creamy soup to be more liquid or vice-versa.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Do you have any questions about the recipe or help with any steps? We’re here for you.
Just leave a comment below or contact us on social media and we will get back to you as soon as we can!