Pizza, I believe is the most popular food around the globe. However, homemade pizza is one of the best. You can make endless versions of it: with salami and pepperoni, with all the cheese you have in the fridge, with pineapple, corn, ham, spinach, tomatoes, peppers and so on.
Plus, it is the ideal choice for every occasion: lunch, dinner, movie night, game night with friends, birthday party and everything in between.
For example, I am completely in love with pizza topped with prosciutto, mozzarella, peppers, mushrooms, rocket salad(arugula) and lots of olives.
The topping is inspired by a similar slice of pizza I ate a few summers back at the Untold Festival – one of the best electronic music festivals from Europe, which takes place in Transylvania (Dracula’s home).
Although I forgot the name of the restaurant from the food court, I wish to send a big thank you for the inspiration and the pizza. It was fantastic and magical, like the festival itself.
One of the most significant parts of how to make pizza is the homemade dough.
It seems easy to make at first glance, however, the dough possesses its secrets as well.
The first one is to combine yeast, half a teaspoon of sugar with warm water and let sit for 10-15 minutes, before swirling the flour with it. The yeast will activate, this way the dough will rise rapidly and become fluffier.
Another secret is the tomato sauce which will constitute the first layer of a delicious homemade pizza.
Most often people use ketchup or a combination of it with mayonnaise. However, I prefer tomato sauce combined with a pinch of salt, ground black pepper, oregano, basil and a few drops of olive oil. It adds such a nice aroma and is more nutritious!
Always cook pizza first without mozzarella or other green leaves, otherwise, they will look burnt and wilted.
When the pizza is almost ready, take it out of the oven, sprinkle with rocket salad and mozzarella. Cook for a few minutes more until the cheese melts. This way mozzarella will look more appetising and the rocket salad fresher.
For the full recipe instructions and quantities read the recipe card below.
- FOR THE DOUGH: 500 g white flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 7g of yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 250 ml of warm water
- SAUCE: 150 ml Passata
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- TOPPING for two pizza: 170 g of Prosciutto (6-7 slices per pizza)
- 150 g mushrooms (4 big mushrooms)
- 100 g pitted black olives
- 1 red bell pepper
- 250 g mozzarella
- 60 g wild rocket salad (arugula)
- Mix 7 g of yeast with one teaspoon of sugar in 250 ml of warm water. Let sit around 10 minutes, until a thin layer of foam forms on the surface.
- Sieve the flour in a large bowl. Stir in one teaspoon of salt and one tablespoon of olive oil. Pour in the liquid with yeast. Using a tablespoon mix until the liquid is completely incorporated with the flour. Add more flour or water if needed.
- When the ingredients start to come together continue to knead with your clean and flour-dusted hands until you have a smooth, springy dough ball.
- Cover the dough with a clean towel and allow it to sit for a minimum of half an hour to rise. Keep in mind that the warmer the place the faster the dough will rise.
Until the dough is ready, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Tomato sauce:
- In a medium-sized bowl mix passata with one teaspoon each of oregano and basil; ½ tsp of salt, ¼ tsp of freshly ground black pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Wash, deseed the pepper and slice it into tiny half-moons.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Cut all the olives in half.
- Rinse and drain the rocket salad.
- Grate mozzarella or thinly slice it.
- Preheat the oven at 200 °C / 390 °F.
- Place the dough ball on a flour-dusted surface and divide it into two smaller ones. Set one aside.
- With the help of a rolling pin flatten the dough ball until you have a 15 inch / 36 cm wide and 0,5 inch / 1 cm thick pizza. Gently lay it onto a non-stick pizza tray. Do the same to the remaining dough.
- Coat the flattened dough with 4-5 tablespoons of seasoned tomato sauce. Top with prosciutto, pepper, mushrooms and olives.
- Cook for 25 minutes. Take it out of the oven, top with the rocket salad and mozzarella and cook for 4 minutes more until the cheese melts.
- Do the same with the other pizza.
Enjoy and serve with this delicious Transylvanian garlic sauce!
- The last time when I made two homemade pizzas, I topped one of them with chorizo to diversify the taste. Don’t be shy and include your preferred ham as well.
Nutrition per Slice of Pizza
Did you enjoy this recipe? Do you have any questions about it or need help with any of the steps? We’re here for you!
Just leave a comment below or contact us on social media and we will get back to you as soon as we can!
Show your masterpiece to the world, tag @therecipery on Instagram and hashtag it #therecipery.